The Rose Family


 

 

The Rose Cottage

Open for inspection on the Third Sunday of each month from 10.00am to 3.00pm.
Cost of entry: $2 for an individual or $5.00 for a family of two adults and up to 5 children.

In 1809 Thomas Rose bought from William Mackay part of a 30 acre farm a short distance down-stream from Laurel Farm and on higher ground. This became the focus of the Rose family life and it was here that Thomas and Jane built, around 1811, the house that is now known as "Rose Cottage" Wilberforce . It is recognised as Australia’s oldest known timber slab house situated on it’s original site. The family occupied the cottage continuously until 1961.

Rose Cottage

Ownership was subsequently transferred to Hawkesbury City Council. Bill McLaughlin actually had the vision to acquire the site and built the "Australian Pioneer Village" now known as Hawkesbury Heritage Farm around it - using a number of old buildings from around the Hawkesbury district.

A Permanent Conservation Order, first proposed by the Rose family in 1977 was finally granted on 14 August 1985. However, on 17th January 1993, the Council returned the cottage to the Society by the transfer of the deeds for a nominal $1.

Since 1994 extensive conservation work has been undertaken by the Society under the guidance of conservation architects in order to maintain the cottage in a viable condition. The result of all this activity is a building and grounds that would please it’s original owners and occupiers.

Early Cottage

 

 

 

 

left:
The Cottage during restoration, March 1995

   
Restored Cottage

 

 

 

 

left:
The Cottage on Open Day, March 1996

Visiting Rose Cottage

As Hawkesbury Heritage Farm is currently closed anyone wishing to visit the Cottage should contact the following well ahead of time so suitable arrangements can be made for them to do so:

John Nichols (02) 9602 3330